Friday, July 11, 2008

The "Whiner" Factor

I freely admit that I occasionally watch Fox News Channel. Special Report with Brit Hume, Fox News Watch, and The O'Reilly Factor are my most frequent takes from their offerings. I leave the rest to those who enjoy Shepard Smith and his apparently limitless goofiness. The other day, I just happened to catch a special hosted by Heather Nauert entitled, "The Y Factor." It was a report exploring the expected heavy influence of the youth vote on the upcoming presidential election. The first question Ms. Nauert posed was to a young woman, a student I presume, and although I don't recall the exact question or her exact response, her answer was to similar to this, "Well, being a young person today is soooo difficult..."

Excuse me?

As a member of the so-called Generation X, I'm not that much older than this dimwit. I'm sure she may feel the pressure of having a cell phone with only a 2 megapixel camera, or the anxiety caused by the possibility that college classes like "Border Crossings, Borderlands: Transnational Feminist Perspectives on Immigration" or "'Mail Order Brides?' Understanding the Philippines in Southeast Asian Context" might fill up too quickly. But perhaps she should open a history book and look at what real hardship, real challenge really is.

Whining coming from those who have nothing to whine about is distasteful to some, infuriating to a few, and not a big deal to more and more...but it's mostly depressing to me. To think that the culmination of the collective work of generations of Americans is the creation of a generation largely populated by spoiled ingrates who have zero perspective really gets me down. I'm encouraged, though, when I see some of these "millennials" rise to face colossal challenges and succeed - such as the case of our soldiers in post-surge Iraq.

Gee...I wonder who that coed will be voting for in November?

No comments: